No matter what you’re doing with your life, doubt can creep in and bury you in what-ifs and judgmental statements. When you’re pursuing a dream, those doubts are even louder because taking a risk on yourself is much scarier than taking the common roads in life. Not only do you have your own doubts, but you have to deal with the negative statements of others as well. Getting through all of the muck can be hard sometimes, and it’s easy to want to give up.
When your dream is part of who you are, though, there is no walking away from it. Wherever you go, your dream will follow, pestering you to show it the attention it demands. It will be there in your “safe” college major, it will follow you to your “real” job, and it will scream at the back of your mind when you enter the “real world” and leave it behind. Your unfollowed dream will become your biggest regret.
Listening to your doubts can feel like a safety net, but it’s really a noose. While there are no guarantees that you’ll succeed if you pursue your dream, not trying will ensure that you fail. Instead of playing it safe, start working toward your dream and allow yourself to grow into that role. Say goodbye to self doubt with positive self-talk.
Things to Tell Yourself When You Question Your Decisions
- All I can do is take the information I have today and make the best decision.
- Each new day brings new decisions, so what I decide today can change if I need it to.
- Life is not determined by a single decision.
- I have no way of knowing if the other alternatives were better than the one I chose. Even if this decision is a failure, it doesn’t mean the other alternatives would have been successful. This may just be a lesson I needed.
- I’m the only one who knows what’s best for me, and this decision is what feels right.
- If I don’t try, then I can’t succeed.
Things to Tell Yourself When You Feel Like You Need to Rush Your Dream
- Life is not about endpoints, it’s about how you live everyday.
- Tomorrow may not come, so I should live a life I love today.
- Life is happening right now, so slow down and live each moment.
- The dream is being here, alive in this moment.
Things to Tell Yourself When Worry Creeps In
- The future is unpredictable. Life will be different in a day, in a month, and in a few years. My worries are probably already solved, but I don’t know it yet.
- Most worries never come to pass, so there’s no point in ruining today worrying about tomorrow.
- Worrying will not change the future.
- Enjoying today is the best way to prevent worries in the future. I can go forward with a calm mind knowing that I’m right where I want to be.
This post has also been published on my blog: http://www.mindfulcurvylife.com.